Bachelor instrumental / vocal
The Instrumental or Vocal Bachelor in Classical Music provides the foundation for a professional career as a musician. These studies focus mainly on the practice of an instrument or singing by offering individual lessons and customized accompaniment. Theoretical courses, opening modules and masterclasses are also offered to deepen one's skills and broaden one's artistic horizons. In addition, students benefit from numerous opportunities to perform and collaborate with musicians from other departments.
Jörg Lingenberg, Head of BA classical
> WARNING !
Please read the full page below before filling out your application form.
The deadline for enrollment in the entrance exam is March 1st of every year.
The deadline to register for additional admissions is March 30, 2022.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC PREREQUISITES
Applicants must be in possession of a recognised secondary school diploma, a recognised professional diploma, or a recognised specialized diploma in Music and Performing Arts department. There is no age limit. Special dispensations are occasionally granted to candidates of outstanding ability.
- Règlement d’admission en Bachelor dans le domaine Musique et Arts de la scène HES-SO (.pdf)
- Compétences pour l’admission en Bachelor (.pdf)
ENTRANCE AUDITION REPERTORY
The works to be presented in the entrance audition are listed in the exam repertory document (FRENCH) (.pdf)
The registration procedure is as follows:
- Candidates, regardless of their place of residence or their ability to travel to the premises of the HEMU, are invited to submit a video recording of the program they have indicated in their registration file.
No auditions will take place on the premises of the HEMU, with the exception of the courses, orientations and main disciplines expressly identified (Accompaniment, Conducting, Conducting wind instrument ensembles, Master degree in Music at school).
- Each work in the program may be the subject of a separate video; each work, excerpt or movement must be recorded without any editing or cutting.
- On the screen, the shot must be fixed and wide, face-on (with the camera placed in the usual location of the audience), and the candidates must be visible at all times.
- The recording must be made specifically for the current 2022 admission session. Videos from public concerts will not be considered. At the beginning of each video, the candidates give their first and last names, indicate the title of the work and mention the date of the day of the recording.
- The length and composition of the recorded program respect the requirements indicated in the repertoire of the instrumental and vocal admissions competitions.
- The procedures of sending the videos will be communicated after the administrative registration by email directly to the registered candidate.
Courses are given in French. A minimal level of French is required. The recommended level is the B2 level of the "European Portfolio of Languages".
ENROLLMENT IN THE ADMISSION PROCESS
Important : all the annexes of your application must be prepared before filling in the form. The online administrative registration is done all at once, without any interruption.
1. CHOSEN FIELD OF STUDY
2. Prepare your application
- 1 photo (passport size)
- letter of motivation
- curriculum vitae
- list of the repertoire you have worked on already
- programme for the entrance examination (only for Classical music)
- copy of the high school diploma (Maturité, Baccalauréat, Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hoschulreife, General Certificate of Education, Kotogakko, etc.)
- copy of the diplomas already obtained during your musical studies & grade transcripts
- copy of the valid passeport or identity card
- copy of the admission fee payment (Swiss francs 80.-, non-refundable). Please indicate under "Comment to the beneficiary" the name and surname of the candidate
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching or Music in Schools : Bachelor and Master levels :
- extract from the criminal records
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching to send to admissions.map(at)hemu-cl.ch :
- essay regarding one general question concerning teaching and musical/vocal pedagogy).
- curriculum vitae essay
- letter of motivation
Enquiries : admissions.classique(at)hemu-cl.ch
The CHF 80.- enrollment fee must be paid by bank transfer to:
BANQUE CANTONALE VAUDOISE
Case Postale 300
Titulaire du compte :
FOND. HEM VD VS FR ET CL
Rue des Côtes-de-Montbenon 22
Code IBAN : CH35 0076 7000 R079 6428 5
SWIFT : BCVLCH2LXXX
Please add a copy of the payment to your file. Please indicate under "Comment to the beneficiary" the name and surname of the candidate.
The registration fee is not refunded in case of renunciation.
Confirmation of applicant’s enrollment in the entrance audition will be sent at the latest 15 days prior to the audition. The confirmation will specify the date, time and place of the exam.
DATES OF DELIBERATIONS OF ADMISSIONS BY VIDEO
MUSIC THEORY EXAM
Applicants to the HEMU Bachelor of Arts in Music degree must possess knowledge of music theory as well as musical aptitude. Candidates who successfully pass the entrance audition, and whose knowledge of music theory is not attested by their diplomas, must also take a music theory exam.
The theoretical test will take place remotely, a personal invitation will be sent to each candidate.
Examples of expected skills for the music theory exam :
AUDITION AND EXAM RESULTS
The jury decides on the admission status of applicants: admitted, eligible for admission, or ineligible for admission. The ineligible candidate does not have the required level to enter the Haute Ecole de Musique de Lausanne.
Entrance auditions and music theory exam results will be available the following day on Internet and in Office 104.
Applicants admitted to the HEMU must confirm their definitive enrollment before 31st May of each year.
Successful applicants will receive a confirmation letter during the summer, including information on the courses they will be taking.
BACHELOR & MASTER STUDIES RULES AND REGULATIONS
Students, and particularly foreign students, are not insured by the HEMU in case of accidents or illness. Students must subscribe to a private insurance policy and furnish proof of subscription at the time of enrollment.
The HEMU instrumental/vocal Bachelor of Arts in Music offers a generalist training with numerous main disciplines to choose from the list below:
- Double bass