Bachelor instrumental / vocal
The Instrumental or Vocal Bachelor in Classical Music provides the foundation for a professional career as a musician. These studies focus mainly on the practice of an instrument or singing by offering individual lessons and customized accompaniment. Theoretical courses, opening modules and masterclasses are also offered to deepen one's skills and broaden one's artistic horizons. In addition, students benefit from numerous opportunities to perform and collaborate with musicians from other departments.
Jörg Lingenberg, Head of BA classical
> WARNING !
Please read the full page below before filling out your application form.
The deadline for enrollment in the entrance exam is March 1st of every year.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC PREREQUISITES
Applicants must be in possession of a recognised secondary school diploma, a recognised professional diploma, or a recognised specialized diploma in Music and Performing Arts department. There is no age limit. Special dispensations are occasionally granted to candidates of outstanding ability.
- Règlement d’admission en Bachelor dans le domaine Musique et Arts de la scène HES-SO (.pdf)
- Compétences pour l’admission en Bachelor (.pdf)
ENTRANCE AUDITION REPERTORY
The works to be presented in the entrance audition are listed in the exam repertory document (FRENCH) (.pdf)
- Direction d’orchestre (.pdf)
- Direction d’ensembles d’instruments à vent (dernière page du document) (.pdf)
Warning regarding 2021 admissions:
The minimum lengths of programs recording have been reduced as follows:
- For Bachelor admissions, the length of the program recording has been brought down to “20 to 30 minutes minimum”
- For Master admissions *, the length of the program recording has been brought down to “minimum 30 minutes”
* For admission to the Soloist Master program, the second test (transverse examination), which will take place in person, is not affected by this measure; the requirements for the duration and content of the program to be prepared for this second test remain those indicated in the repertoire of admission competitions.
- Concerning the works required in the repertoire for the instrumental and vocal admission competitions, candidates have the choice of recording them in their entirety, or recording only excerpts or isolated movements.
The registration procedure is as follows:
- Candidates, regardless of their place of residence or their ability to travel to the premises of the HEMU, are invited to submit a video recording of the program they have indicated in their registration file.
No auditions will take place on the premises of the HEMU, with the exception of the courses, orientations and main disciplines expressly identified (Accompaniment, Conducting, Conducting wind instrument ensembles, Master degree in Music at school).
- Each work in the program may be the subject of a separate video; each work, excerpt or movement must be recorded without any editing or cutting.
- On the screen, the shot must be fixed and wide, face-on (with the camera placed in the usual location of the audience), and the candidates must be visible at all times.
- The recording must be made specifically for the current 2021 admission session. Videos from public concerts will not be considered. At the beginning of each video, the candidates give their first and last names, indicate the title of the work and mention the date of the day of the recording.
- The length (as mentioned above) and composition of the recorded program meet the requirements indicated on the HEMU website.
- The procedures for sending links to the videos will be communicated directly to the registered candidates later.
Courses are given in French. A minimal level of French is required. The recommended level is the B2 level of the "European Portfolio of Languages".
ENROLLMENT IN THE ADMISSION PROCESS
Important : all the annexes of your application must be prepared before filling in the form. The online administrative registration is done all at once, without any interruption.
1. Prepare your application
- 1 photo (passport size)
- letter of motivation
- curriculum vitae
- list of the repertoire you have worked on already
- programme for the entrance examination (only for Classical music)
- copy of the high school diploma (Maturité, Baccalauréat, Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hoschulreife, General Certificate of Education, Kotogakko, etc.)
- copy of the diplomas already obtained during your musical studies & grade transcripts
- copy of the valid passeport or identity card
- copy of the admission fee payment (Swiss francs 80.-, non-refundable)
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching or Music in Schools : Bachelor and Master levels :
- extract from the criminal records
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching to send to admissions.map(at)hemu-cl.ch :
- essay regarding one general question concerning teaching and musical/vocal pedagogy).
- curriculum vitae essay
- letter of motivation
Enquiries : admissions.classique(at)hemu-cl.ch
The CHF 80.- enrollment fee must be paid by bank transfer to:
BANQUE CANTONALE VAUDOISE
Case Postale 300
Titulaire du compte :
FOND. HEM VD VS FR ET CL
Rue des Côtes-de-Montbenon 22
Code IBAN : CH35 0076 7000 R079 6428 5
SWIFT : BCVLCH2LXXX
Proof of bank transfer must be included in the application dossier. The enrollment fee is non-refundable.
Confirmation of applicant’s enrollment in the entrance audition will be sent at the latest 15 days prior to the audition. The confirmation will specify the date, time and place of the exam.
ENTRANCE AUDITION & EXAM DATES
DATES OF DELIBERATIONS OF ADMISSIONS BY VIDEO
THE ENTRANCE AUDITION & EXAM DAY
1. Instrumental audition: applicants play all or part of their audition repertory for a jury made up of the director (or his representative) and a panel of faculty members. Following the exams and the jury’s deliberation, results will be posted on the ground floor.
2. Bachelor of Arts in Music applicants who successfully pass the instrumental audition will be interviewed by the administration the same day. Interview times will be posted with entrance audition results. The interview will determine whether a music theory exam is necessary.
MUSIC THEORY EXAM
Applicants to the HEMU Bachelor of Arts in Music degree must possess knowledge of music theory as well as musical aptitude. Candidates who successfully pass the entrance audition, and whose knowledge of music theory is not attested by their diplomas, must also take a music theory exam.
The theoretical test will take place remotely, a personal invitation will be sent to each candidate.
Examples of expected skills for the music theory exam :
AUDITION AND EXAM RESULTS
The jury decides on the admission status of applicants: admitted, eligible for admission, or ineligible for admission. The ineligible candidate does not have the required level to enter the Haute Ecole de Musique de Lausanne.
Entrance auditions and music theory exam results will be available the following day on Internet and in Office 104.
Applicants admitted to the HEMU must confirm their definitive enrollment before 31st May of each year.
Successful applicants will receive a confirmation letter during the summer, including information on the courses they will be taking.
BACHELOR & MASTER STUDIES RULES AND REGULATIONS
Students, and particularly foreign students, are not insured by the HEMU in case of accidents or illness. Students must subscribe to a private insurance policy and furnish proof of subscription at the time of enrollment.
The HEMU instrumental/vocal Bachelor of Arts in Music offers a generalist training with numerous main disciplines to choose from the list below:
- Double bass