HEMU’s research projects follow five priorities:
- education: music education in all forms, individual and collective, professional and non-professional; knowledge transfer; methods to train teachers; diversity and specificity of learners;
- performance: instrumental and vocal practices within their current and historical dimensions; questioning western and non-western traditions;
- creation: tools, techniques, structures and forms of expression at the disposal of the creators; perception and reception of the works; boundaries and interactions between different aspects of creation;
- career: socio-professional conditions, occupational integration; relationships between the artists and their public, the artists and society, cultural politics, mediation actions; psychological and physiological aspects of the profession;
- arts and sciences: projects at the junction of artistic, scientific and technological disciplines.