BACHELOR instrumental / vocal
The Instrumental or Vocal Bachelor in Jazz Music offers the basis to start a career as a professional musician. These studies focus mainly on the practice of an instrument or singing by offering individual lessons and customized accompaniment. Theoretical courses, opening modules and masterclasses are also offered to deepen one's skills and broaden one's artistic horizons. In addition, students benefit from numerous opportunities to perform and collaborate with musicians from other departments.
Thomas Dobler, Head of BA and MA Jazz
> WARNING !
Please read the full page below before filling out your application form.
The deadline for enrollment in the entrance exam is March 1st of every year.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC PREREQUISITES
Applicants must be in possession of a recognised secondary school diploma, a recognised professional diploma, or a recognised specialized diploma in Music and Performing Arts department. There is no age limit. Special dispensations are occasionally granted to candidates of outstanding ability.
- Règlement d’admission en Bachelor dans le domaine Musique et Arts de la scène HES-SO (.pdf)
- Compétences pour l’admission en Bachelor (.pdf)
Courses are given in French. A minimal level of French is required. The recommended level is the B2 level of the "European Portfolio of Languages".
ENROLLMENT IN THE ADMISSION PROCESS
REGISTRATION FOR ADMISSION
Important : all the annexes of your application must be prepared before filling in the form. The online administrative registration is done all at once, without any interruption.
1. Prepare your application
- 1 photo (passport size)
- letter of motivation
- curriculum vitae
- list of the repertoire you have worked on already
- programme for the entrance examination (only for Classical music)
- copy of the high school diploma (Maturité, Baccalauréat, Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hoschulreife, General Certificate of Education, Kotogakko, etc.)
- copy of the diplomas already obtained during your musical studies & grade transcripts
- copy of the valid passeport or identity card
- copy of the admission fee payment (Swiss francs 80.-, non-refundable)
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching or Music in Schools : Bachelor and Master levels :
- extract from the criminal records
- only for Master in Music Pedagogy instrumental/vocal Teaching to send to admissions.map(at)hemu-cl.ch :
- essay regarding one general question concerning teaching and musical/vocal pedagogy).
- curriculum vitae essay
- letter of motivation
Enquiries : admissions.jazz(at)hemu-cl.ch
The CHF 80.- enrollment fee must be paid by bank transfer to:
BANQUE CANTONALE VAUDOISE
Case Postale 300
Titulaire du compte :
FOND. HEM VD VS FR ET CL
Rue des Côtes-de-Montbenon 22
Code IBAN : CH35 0076 7000 R079 6428 5
SWIFT : BCVLCH2LXXX
Proof of bank transfer must be included in the application dossier. The enrollment fee is non-refundable.
Confirmation of applicant’s enrollment in the entrance audition will be sent at the latest 15 days prior to the audition. The confirmation will specify the date, time and place of the exam.
ENTRANCE AUDITION & EXAM DATES
From March 30th to April 3rd 2020 (these dates are subject to change).
ENTRANCE AUDITION REPERTORY
The works to be presented in the entrance audition are listed in the following documents:
- FRANÇAIS : Conditions d'admission BACHELOR jazz - 2021 (.pdf)
- ENGLISH : Admission requirements BACHELOR OF ARTS in jazz - 2021 (.pdf)
Examen d'admission théorique (.pdf)
THE ENTRANCE AUDITION & EXAM DAY
1. Instrumental audition: applicants play all or part of their audition repertory for a jury made up of the director (or his representative) and a panel of faculty members. Following the exams and the jury’s deliberation, results will be posted on the ground floor.
2. Bachelor of Arts in Music applicants who successfully pass the instrumental audition will be interviewed by the administration the same day. Interview times will be posted with entrance audition results. The interview will determine whether a music theory exam is necessary.
AUDITION AND EXAM RESULTS
The jury decides on the admission status of applicants: admitted, eligible for admission, or ineligible for admission. The ineligible candidate does not have the required level to enter the Haute Ecole de Musique de Lausanne.
Applicants admitted to the HEMU must confirm their definitive enrollment before 31st May of each year.
Successful applicants will receive a confirmation letter during the summer, including information on the courses they will be taking.
BACHELOR & MASTER STUDIES RULES AND REGULATIONS
Students, and particularly foreign students, are not insured by the HEMU in case of accidents or illness. Students must subscribe to a private insurance policy and furnish proof of subscription at the time of enrollment.
The HEMU instrumental/vocal Bachelor of Arts in Music offers a generalist training with numerous main disciplines to choose from the list below:
- Double bass